Changes to the policy
Personal information collected through our website
We recognise the importance of protecting personal information. We do not collect sensitive information as defined under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), such as racial or ethnicity information, political opinions or associations, criminal records or health information.
When you make inquiries about properties on our website, or contact us in any other way, we collect some or all of the following information that you provide:
- your name;
- your address;
- your phone number;
- your title; and
- your email address.
How we collect your personal information
We may collect personal information about you from a variety of sources including, but not limited to:
- when you make inquiries about properties advertised on our website;
- when you contact us or our service providers for any reason, including for example reporting a problem with the website, or seeking our assistance;
- when you creating an advertising account with us; and
- when you submit an advertisement.
Other information collected through our website
We use Google's Analytics services on our site. Analytics gathers aggregated, anonymised statistics about our visitors and how they use our website: these statistics can never be used by us to individually identify you or any other user. We use these statistics to understand what sorts of people visit our website and what services they are interested in, which helps us to improve our service offerings in the future.
We also use Google's remarketing service, which keeps track of the web browsers that have visited our site in the past. We do not collect or have access to any personal information through our use of this service. These lists of browsers that have visited us in the past may be used in future in a 'remarketing campaign', where we display our ads on those browsers when they visit Google's sites or other sites that display Google Ads.
Opting out of Google Analytics and targeted Google Ads
You can opt out of Google’s collection of your information in a few ways:
- You can disable the types of demographics information available to Google when it decides what ads to show you on its sites and sites that display Google Ads;
- You can opt out of Google Analytics, to stop sending anonymised demographics information about you and your webpage visits to Google;
- Google Analytics and Google's targeted ads rely on browser cookies. Most Internet browsers are set up to accept cookies. If you do not wish to receive cookies, you may be able to change the settings of your browser to refuse all cookies or to notify you each time a cookie is sent to your computer, giving you the choice whether to accept it or not.
How we use your information
We use the personal information and information collected through Google’s services to:
- respond to or provide you with information and assistance that you request from us;
- when you inquire about a property, to pass your details along to the advertisers of the property;
- if you are an advertiser with us, we may use your personal information to get in contact with you about your account or your advertisements;
- ensure that content from our website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- provide a better or more relevant service or product to you, for instance by automatically populating forms on our website when you make enquiries;
- provide you with a better or more relevant and personalised experience and to improve the quality of our services;
- help carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us; and
- notify you about changes to our products and services.
How we disclose your personal information
We may disclose your personal information:
- to real estate agents or other advertisers of property on our websites, from whom you have requested information from by submitting an enquiry;
- when you contact us to request assistance with technical issues in using our website, to our service providers so that they can help us resolve your issue;
- relevant public, government or regulatory authorities, our legal representatives or other concerned parties, in special situations where we have reason to believe that disclosing your personal information is necessary to help identify, contact or bring legal action against anyone damaging, injuring, or interfering (intentionally or unintentionally) with our rights or property, users or anyone else who could be harmed by such activities; and
- where we are otherwise authorised or required by law to do so.
Personal information provided to us is stored on servers in Australia. Some personal information may also be stored at our private Melbourne premises.
We use a variety of reasonable physical and electronic security measures, including restricting physical access to our offices, firewalls and secure databases to keep personal information secure from misuse, interference, loss or unauthorised use or disclosure.
Our employees, contractors, agents and service providers who provide services related to our information systems, are obliged to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by us.